Sunday, March 1, 2015

Spinach, mushroom, and caramelized onion pasta with a cream sauce!

So since lent started I've had to get creative with no meat on Fridays. We had my in laws over for dinner this past Friday and that means cooking for 8 people. I have to say over the past 12 years I have learned how to cook for a large number of people who eat a large portion of food! So really I'm normally cooking for at least 10-12 people. Haha 

I was sick of the same old same old so I went to pinterest (of course) to find something I could make. I wasn't finding anything that caught my eye so I just typed in veggies. This delicious recipe for a creaming spinach, mushroom and caramelized onion dish popped up. So I thought, why not add it to pasta!! 

So I did!! 

I ended up doubling the vegetable portion and tripling the sauce portion. I ended up using 3 pounds of pasta and that was just enough for us. I had leftovers for lunch the next day.

I recipe called for three onions. I used about 5 huge onions because I know onions always shrink down to just about nothing, and caramelized onions are so good! called for 10-15 mushrooms. I used about 5 10oz packs of pre cut mushrooms. It was a good amount. It called for 3 cups of spinach. I just threw in as much as I wanted. I probably would add even more next time because spinach also shrinks down a lot. 

The sauce called for 1/4 cup of milk, 1/3 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and a 1/4 tsp of salt. I tripled this sauce. Next time I might 4x it. 

To give you a heads up it does take a little bit longer to caramelize onions, about 30 minutes total. We didn't end up eating until about 8pm, so I would suggest starting earlier than I did. But when your husband works until 6:45 and you have a 14m old running around it doesn't always work out that way! 

But some of the complements I heard were, "wow, I'd order this in a restaurant!" "This was worth the wait!" "Wow, this is delicious!" I was cooking for some people who have high expectations and who are picky. So I'd say this recipe will be added to my cook book and be a norm in our family!! 



Here is the original recipe, I added pasta! 


No comments:

Post a Comment